Friday, August 24, 2012

Celebrating the First Anniversary of my 29th Year

After returning from Cabo on the 4th of July, I spent two night in Dallas with Mandy before we drove to Austin for my birthday weekend. Although I had hoped to do something special for this milestone year, the first anniversary of my 29th year, I hadn't planned anything ahead of time, partly because it was a holiday weekend and I knew it would be too difficult to get friends together who lived all over the State and had kids.

So, I was looking forward to a weekend with Mandy and Laurel in Austin visiting my favorite places. First on the list was lunch at Hula Hut. Sitting down for my birthday lunch, I all of a sudden saw two people walk past the table out of the corner of my eye, and low and behold it was my two dear friends, Allison and Kelly, both who live in Houston. I had seen Allison the week before when she visited College Station, but I didn't think I'd be able to see Kelly this trip and I was absolutely shocked seeing them stand before me. They were going to celebrate the entire day with me and stay overnight - I was overjoyed and the tears were flowing. I felt so appreciate of the effort they made to come, as they had arranged for their husbands to watch their kids so they could get away for the weekend. This was the best birthday surprise ever!



After lunch, we all went shopping at the Domain before heading back to Laurel's where she had done up her house in birthday decor. I was feeling more and more pampered by the minute. After getting dressed in our going-out duds (which coordinated by pure coincidence, by the way), we trekked downtown for dinner on W. 6th Street.



Afterward, we went to check out an 80s cover band at Cedar Street Bar before ending the night at Highball. I had hoped to sing karaoke there, but alas all their rooms were booked. However, we were pleasantly surprised to learn there would be an 80s dance party in their ball room. This night was just getting better and better. The music was amazing and it was great to see so many normal, young people get pumped about 80s music and dance. The bar pulled out all the stops with crazy props and effects for the crowd and it was an absolute blast to say the least.




I couldn't have asked for a better way to celebrate my big 3-0 (there, I finally said it) and more importantly, couldn't have had better people to spend it with. I felt so incredibly spoiled and am so appreciative of all they did to make this birthday an unforgettable one.

No comments: