Friday, September 23, 2011

My Hot, Hot, Hot Time in Texas

It feels like it's been an eternity since I boarded a plane bound for blazin' hot Texas on July 12th. And in a way it has. There has been so much happening the past two months and with many travels comes a lack of blogging. I'm finally getting around to updating all that's been taking place during the second half of our summer. My two weeks in Texas flew by too fast, as usual, but I made the most of them visiting lots of family and friends when I could. The main reason for going back was to attend my sweet Gran's 90th birthday. She is one incredible lady with so much energy and I of course wanted to be there during this special occasion to honor her life. And the best part was that it was a total surprise! I arrived first in Austin to spend three glorious days with Laurel, Jason and my adorable nephew. Braxton, then 10 months, had grown so much since the last time I saw him five months later. I felt so fortunate to be able to experience his first plane ride as we flew from Austin to Dallas, met up with Mandy, and continued on to Mobile, Alabama.

Braxton and me on the plane from Austin to Dallas

Mandy and me at Gran's apartment shortly after arriving in Mobile

 Our Catlin family reunion in Mobile was so much fun and I loved every minute I had to spend with my sisters, our parents, and Alabama family who we don't get to see often enough. The big party was on Saturday afternoon and there were over 80 people in attendance to help celebrate my grandmother's birthday. Although she's out-lived most of her best friends, it's evident that she still has so many people that love her and want to honor the wonderful person she is. 

Gran's beautiful birthday cake

Gran, Braxton, Laurel and cousin Brian

The Catlin Clan

On Sunday, we all attended church together and had brunch at Gran's retirement community. It was definitely a bittersweet day, knowing that we would all go our separate ways once more. I was so grateful for the decision and opportunity I had to go Stateside for this occasion. Being surrounded by family is the most uplifting feeling there is and I wouldn't have traded this weekend for anything. 

Braxton with his Bumpa

Gran and her grandchildren

Back in Texas, I continued my tour of the State by spending some time at home in Bryan. I love nothing more than to spend lazy days at the house by the pool, hangin' with my parents, eating lots of Tex-Mex and catching up with neighbors and friends. Unfortunately, I didn't get enough time to do just that, but I did manage to make a side-trip to Houston to see two of my dearest childhood friends. Allison and JW took me out to an incredible dinner at Haven and afterward we hit up some bars and had the best time catching up and planning their imminent trip to Europe. I spent the following day with Kelly and we enjoyed story-swapping over lunch and, of course, I love spending time with her adorable toddler, Allison. Although I wish more of my friends lived closer to Bryan, I am so glad these two friends are very near, which at least makes short visits possible. 

Allison and me
Allison and me 
Back in Bryan, I spent my last weekend in Texas hangin' with two my my favorite people.... my parents. I mean honestly, how did I get so lucky to have parents that I truly LOVE spending time with and have so much FUN with?! I raced back from Houston on Friday in time to meet them at a new wine bar downtown before having a delicious dinner at one of my favorite downtown restaurants. Before I knew it, the weekend was over and I was off to Dallas for my last three days of Texas heat before crossing the pond once more. 

Me and my dad, Lar

Luckily, Laurel had a work conference in Dallas during that time, so I got to spend my last few days with two more of my favorite people.... both sisters. We spent our evenings doing our favorite things....., eating at fabulous restaurants, shopping and LOTS of laughing. My last night we met up with... yep, you guessed it, two MORE of my favorite people (my list might be long, but trust me, not all my friends get the title 'favorite'). Judy and Claudia, who were first my mom's friends, but luckily I inherited their friendship as well, were so sweet to drive downtown to partake in a girls fest. We always have so much fun with these ladies and it was the perfect ending to a perfect trip. 

Me with Mandy, Judy, Claudia and Laurel


As usual, the waterworks came at the end of the night with my two sisters, but I simply feel fortunate that I have two people I care enough about that it always hurts to say good-bye, no matter how many times we've done it. Although it was scorching-hot and Texas was in the middle of their record-breaking summer heat, I loved seeing constant sunshine and getting to make the most of my summer wardrobe. Thanks to all my family and friends who made my time home so meaningful. Can't wait to be back!

1 comment:

Spencer's Take Singapore said...

You are too sweet! I love this! Thanks for coming to visit! I wish you could have stayed longer and even though I am gross and pregnant and you are precious and little, I wish we would have taken a snap shot. Next time, right? Miss you! Love the new updates!