Sunday, September 21, 2008

Getting settled and re-settled, and on the road again

Well, it's hard to believe I've been back in Wiesbaden for over two weeks now. I've been horrible about keeping in touch with family, friends and anyone but Charm who's diligently called about every day to chat with me (she's just the best, isn't she?). But, let me assure you all, I'm doing well and gradually getting re-adjusted to my life here. The biggest hurdles I had to overcome? First there was the car issue; obtaining the paperwork to pick it up was ridiculous and then it wouldn't start and now it does but has a horrible screeching noise. So, not only is the big honkin' X-terra a gas-guzzling eye sore for all the Germans, but now it makes a horrendous chirping noise that gets louder the faster I go (so, it gets loud a lot). Second, there was the internet issue; I had no internet for the first 8 days I was back as there was a problem getting it reconnected again. As my fellow websurfing-loving friends know, this equates to a LIFETIME! I was constantly going to the nearby Turkish-run internet cafe, where I'm pretty sure the guy who ran it thought I had a crush on him because I was dropping by so often and would flash a big smile, as my German wasn't quite up to speed yet. The third hurdle I had to overcome (and am still overcoming) is the weather. My goodness gracious it's quite cool here! There was really no transition for me between extreme Texas summer heat and highs in the low 60s here. I went from tank tops to tights and shorts to sweaters. Quite depressing. But, when the sun IS shining outside and illuminating the gorgeous flowers and architecture, I don't care what the temperature is because it's just so darn beautiful here.

After being back in Wiesbaden for less than a week, I travled to Antwerp, Belgium for the EAIE (European Association of International Educators) Conference, a.k.a. "Euro Summer Camp." I met up with my boss there, and had a splendid time meeting people from all over Europe and learning new ways to effectively recruit international students. But, like all conferences, when the workday comes to an end, it evolves into a "camp" like setting with receptions, dances and parties to attend. I had my group I rolled with consisiting of people from the Netherlands, Spain, Italy and at times some Swedes. Although we may all come from very different places, one thing's for sure, no one can resist the Texas charm.

After my 4-day stint in Antwerp, it was time to come back to Wiesbaden and get in my routine once again. It was a busy week preparing for the gospel concert at my church, attending the baby shower of a friend, visiting a friend in Kaiserslautern for the day, working on my grad. class, planning logistics for my next upcoming travels, blah, blah, blah. I know, I know, I can hear my lovely neighbor across the street from my parent's in Bryan right now telling me no one cares about these details in my life. All right, Mr. B, I can take a hint.

To sum it all up, it's been one heck of a time getting back in the swing of things here, and although it is incredibly strange to be "home" without Jon around, I have enough to keep me busy so that the next two months are going to fly by in no time. Also, I have some amazing friends here that never let me go too long without a phone call or invite to hang out. This Wednesday, Charm and I are meeting in the Frankfurt airport to gallavant off to Istanbul together, followed by trips to Paris and Brussels. Oh boy, oh boy!

Now that my internet is up and working, I'll be much better about updating the oh-so-exciting events (and possibly the occassional mundane ones as well) that are going on in my life. I miss you all and will be in touch again soon!

No comments: