Saturday, January 25, 2014

Thanksgiving at the Ranch

For the second year in a row, we spent Thanksgiving at the Ranch! This is one of my favorite times of the year to be here, as the weather is cooler and what little Fall there is, really starts to show. Jon took leave for most of Thanksgiving week to capitalize on our time there. As with most of our ranch visits, time is spent outdoors as much as possible; walking along the creek, spending time with the animals, visiting on the patio, four-wheeling, and lots of work projects (for Jon, at least). 

Conan, 7 months

As Laurel and Jason were not coming until the day after Thanksgiving, we chose to have our dinner on Friday. So on Thanksgiving day, we celebrated by enjoying a long walk along the creek. During this walk, I found myself thankful for so many things this year. The first being my incredible family and new baby we prayed for, for so long. I'm thankful for our health and Jon's job that provides us a wonderful life. I'm thankful for both our loving, generous and kind families who are always there for us. 

I'm most thankful for these two!

My family....

On that day, I was thankful for the sunshine on our walk and the ranch itself, which has been my home away from home and now the tradition of this historic place can also be passed to Conan. I'm so thankful to God for the many, many blessings in my life!





We ended our walk back at the barn where Conan spent some time with Goldie and Buddy. This visit, more than any other, I realized how much they've aged and frail they've become. It makes me so happy that Conan had a chance to "meet" them both, as later that week, Goldie passed away. I was absolutely heartbroken that my friend died, but was also so happy that I got to hug her one last time only days before. As the horse I loved to ride and that led me down the aisle on my wedding day, she will always have a special place in my heart. 

Aunt Mandy and Conan visiting Goldie and Buddy

Jon teaching Conan how to feed Rambo bread

Add caption

Conan with his Cha and Bumpa

As is tradition on Thanksgiving weekend, we love to have a bonfire. It was so much fun to gather across the creek with everyone, enjoy some smores and have some good 'ole country fun. 





After our Thanksgiving meal, we had a little photo session out front in the effort to try to get an updated family photo for our Christmas card. This proved to be quite difficult with a busy baby, but Laurel did a  great job getting a photo alongside her helper Jason, who was making funny faces for Conan.




We also had a photo shoot for the boys. They looked so cute and Christmasy and these photos were used for phone covers for the grandparents' Christmas gifts. Braxton absolutely loves his baby brother and cousin and is so sweet and gentle with them both. 




It was yet another successful Thanksgiving week at the ranch with beautiful weather and fun times had by all. As our family continues to grow, I'm so thankful for the ranch as a place of family togetherness where lots of memories are made. Let the Christmas craziness begin!


No comments: