Thursday, September 19, 2013

Conan's First Camp Meeting

Bloys Camp Meeting holds a special place in my heart. Having attended since birth, it was even more special this year to introduce Conan to this incredible week of the year. Each August, over 2,000 people come together for one week to worship the Lord in the beautiful Davis Mountains of west Texas. Bloys was started in 1890 to provide church services for cowboys working the sparsely populated ranches of west Texas. Today, some of the families of those first attendees still come and join together during a week I like to describe as church camp, a family reunion and vacation all rolled into one. 

Unfortunately, for the 6th year in a row, Jon was unable to attend due to work, but Conan and I enjoyed lots of time with the Catlins, Hicks and our many friends. 

Conan and Boulan
Laurel and the Blue Boys
Having missed the past two years myself, I was so thrilled to return to Bloys and catch up with many friends and spend lots of time with my dear cousin, Macy.

Macy, Laurel and me

Conan and his "Bumpa"

Conan and his "Cha"


Conan at 3 months



Lunch at the cook shed

One of my favorite aspects of Camp Meeting is being surrounded by the gorgeous scenery. I enjoyed lots of sunset walks, bouldering, and even a sunrise mountain climb.

Davis Mountain sunset

Davis Mountain Sunset

Davis Mountains

A climb rewarded with excellent views!

A climb rewarded with excellent views!



Davis Mountain Sunrise
View of Camp from the mountaintop

One afternoon, we trekked to the nearby town of Marfa to browse the shops and explore this adorable, artsy town.

El Paisano Hotel 

El Paisano Hotel

Welcome to Marfa, Conan!
It was a wonderful week to get away from TVs, telephones, computer and all other technology and simply enjoy family togetherness and most importantly, focusing on God's many wonders. I'm so happy  that we'll be able to attend more frequently now that we're Stateside again. Until next year, Bloys!



No comments: