Thursday, October 20, 2011

These are the days of Oktoberfest.....

There are many seasons and celebrations I anticipate throughout the year; Christmas, Carnaval, July 4th. But, there is one season that is growing more dear to my heart the longer I live in Europe. It is the glorious three-week festival that jump-starts the Autumn atmosphere and gives us a reason to celebrate folk traditions and drink delicious beer between the holidays of Labor Day and Halloween. It's OKTOBERFEST!

This fantastic Bavarian tradition embraces all things German (at least what we Americans think of as typical German), to include traditional Bavarian cuisine, music and dress. I absolutely love my dirndl, and look for any excuse to wear it as often as possible. September was my month to host Bunco, and I decided to throw an Octoberfest-themed night of 'Bunctoberfest.' I had so much fun transforming the kitchen to look like a tent and finding Otkoberfest-themed decor and prizes. For the meal, I prepared a pork roast with red cabbage, potato salad, and apple pie. It was a great success and most of the girls came dressed in costume.

Bunctoberfest Ladies



























Bunctoberfest

Bunctoberfest

A few days later, I attended the Oktoberfest party at the Geilenkirchen Air Base. This was my first time to attend and I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was quite surprised with how similarly the tent resembled a real Munich Oktoberfest tent. There wasn't quite the crowds or raucous behavior, but there was a great band, plenty of brews and entertaining antics. The only thing missing was my lederhosen-wearing man.

GK Oktoberfest

GK Oktoberfest

Although Oktoberfest in Munich is only during the last two weeks in September and first week in October, many villages throughout Germany hold Oktoberfest fairs and celebrations throughout the month of October. We recently went to a great fair in the local German village of Haaren with a group of friends. This time Jon was home and able to go and we had a wonderful night of dancing to Oktoberfest tunes and reveling in the fun with our friends. 


Haaren Oktoberfest

The Zinneckers at the Haaren Oktoberfest

Meghan, the bar-maid, at Haaren Oktoberfest
I feel we've definitely made the most of this year's Oktoberfest season! Although Oktoberfest in Germany has come and gone, Sittard is gearing up for their version, OktoberFEEST this weekend. We are looking forward to a crazy good time with friends and family and will be reporting back soon. Prost!

1 comment:

Spencer's Take Singapore said...

Love it! Someday when I am not pregnant, we will come and Oktoberfest with y'all! ;)