Monday, May 4, 2009

Springtime Weddin' Fun

While Germany was still muddling through the remnants of winter on March 20th, I traveled to the States for springtime wedding events. First stop, Natchitoches, Louisiana, where my dear friend from college and former housemate, Crystal, was getting married. It was a fantastic reunion with my other housemates from senior year, Leslie and Elizabeth, as well as other Baylor friends. The wedding was absolutely beautiful and authentically Louisiana, complete with ice sculptures, a Cajun-inspired buffet and an oh-so-entertaining New Orleans band. I have missed these girls dearly over the past two years and was so thrilled to be able to spend time with them again. It looks as if I'll have more opportunities this next year as both Leslie and Elizabeth are engaged with weddings on the way.

After Louisiana, it was off to Texas for two more weddings. The first was two weeks later for a friend who asked me to sing. It was quite an honor and was good practice for the most important wedding of the season - my big sis, Laurel's. During this three weeks home, there was a lot of wedding extravaganza catching up that needed to be done. First, there was the bachelorette party in Austin, which if I do say so myself, Mandy and I did an excellent job planning as it was quite the success. We had a great group of girls and had so much fun at dinner at Iron Cactus, the lingerie party at Laurel's house, and later rode in style downtown in a karaoke bus for a night out on the town!

Of course there were the not as fun tasks as well, but I happily helped with everything asked of me. I think I actually helped out more with Laurel's wedding in those three weeks than I did for my own! The result was an outstanding wedding that was perfect in every way. The most special thing about it was seeing the ranch at its best once again. Although there were many things similar to the wedding Jon and I had, most of it was so different and it was incredible to be able to experience a wedding there from a non-bride-and-groom perspective.

Jon and I spent the week before the wedding at the ranch helping with preparations and enjoying the warm weather. It was so warm, that a few days we were able to sun and swim in the Medina River.

However, the peaceful days didn't last for long, and soon after the ranch was filled with people and tasks as the big day drew near. Some of the guests we were most excited to see were Nick, Kelly and their beautiful daughter, Allison. This was my first time to meet her and we all had such a fun time being together that weekend.

In addition to Nick and Kelly, I was also able to spend time with Allison and J.W. We had an amazing time sharing a cabin together that weekend and talked a lot about their visit to Germany this September. I can't wait!
Now for some highlights of the wedding weekend; In this pic, my cousin Jenny, Kelly, Allison and me at the 11th Street Bar after the Rehearsal Dinner.

More dear friends who I got to spend a lot of time with before the wedding. Judy Y. bought us these lovely bling-tastic rings to wear. Lookin' good ladies!


The evening's finale at Arkey Blue's.

Post ceremony - the reception was in full blast and I danced my face off. I had such an incredible time and the only downside was that it had to end. Another Catlin wedding success!

Oh and I wasn't the only one that danced my heart out. Jon enjoyed himself thoroughly as well. Here he and two other groomsmen did a pseudo-striptease for the bride. Oh yeah, she loved every minute of it!


The day after the wedding was a very bittersweet day. I was thrilled to have a new brother-in-law and a day of family togetherness to simply soak everything in, but at the same time, it meant that the trip was almost over and it was time to return to Germany. I wanted to spend as much time outside as possible enjoying the sunshine, the scenery, my family and everything that makes the ranch what it is.
I walked around and took several pictures to attempt to remember exactly how I felt on this day. So incredibly blessed, but also quite sad to have to leave it all behind.

We will always have a special place in our hearts for Texas and the ranch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.