Monday, November 12, 2007

A Baylor Gathering in Heidelberg

This past week was another busy one in the life of the solo Frau, as I stayed active with social gatherings and even a bit of work.

The week began with a bit of "rebellion" as I decided to finally stop merely talking about going brunette and actually coloring my hair a more "natural" color. The different hair color coupled with a big chop to the hair has been quite shocking for me, and I've experienced a variety of emotions this past week from absolutely loving the feel of a new look, to completely regretting the decision every time I looked at the stranger in the mirror. After having this new style almost a week, I'm very glad I did it, even if only to experience something new. So many times I get in a rut with my hair and never dare to do anything different, so it's nice to feel like I've branched out somewhat. It's funny how I have no problem being adventurous in other aspects of my life, such as moving to Germany, traveling on my own, training for marathons, etc., but when it comes to hair, whoa - now that's a toughie!



On Thursday, I attended my last recruiting fair this fall in the charming town of Heidelberg, about an hour southeast of Wiesbaden. The fair was held at the Heidelberg High School on base and although it was sparsely attended, the highlight was meeting other Baylor alums who live in the area. I had met two of the alums previously, as one lives in Mainz (near Wiesbaden) and the other, Rachelle, coordinated the Diadeloso Jon and I attended in Berlin earlier this summer. I arrived in Heidelberg early in order to meet up with Rachelle to have lunch and tour downtown Heidelberg, where she lives.

It is such an adorable downtown, and where Wiesbaden has a more generic European architecture, Heidelberg has the typical German architecture you would expect. Although the town is a little bit smaller than Wiesbaden, I feel the shopping is better as they have a university in Heidelberg, and therefore have a more young feel to the city. The town is situated on a river with hills surrounding the downtown area and a commanding schloss (castle) situated above the town. I very much enjoyed the town as well as meeting fellow Baylor alums who may have been out of college for quite some time, but still remember their days at Baylor so fondly.

The remainder of the weekend was filled with dinners with friends, and of course, some more girl time. Jon's birthday was Friday and he turned the big 2-8! I wish I could have celebrated with him, but we will do something special when he returns on the 20th. I think in all the years we've dated, we've maybe spent 1 or 2 actual birthdays together, as we've always had to celebrate before or later. Isn't it nice we can keep that tradition alive (he hee)!


This week I will try my hand at some more cooking as our squadron is having a pot luck Thanksgiving dinner on Friday, and I signed up to bring a sweet potato casserole. It should be interesting! Have a wonderful Monday!

No comments: